Sunday, April 19, 2009

On my way to RSA

I am writing this as the six foot three guy in the middle seat as Virgin America is bringing me to RSA Conference 2009. For an analyst, this is a week jammed with briefings and networking sessions. It is my best chance to meet people I have enjoyed talking with on the phone, catch up with friends I don’t see often enough, and deepen vendor relationships in the pursuit of business. It is all about talking with people this week for me. I do tour the exhibit hall, but to be honest I’ve been briefed before the conference by most of the savvy vendors and it is challenging to have productive conversations in a trade show booth. And there is never time to actually sit in on a session.

RSA is the ultimate networking conference in the security industry. RSA has always been about the best vendors getting together to improve security and business propositions. Be sure to put on your networking hat If you are at the conference – this is the one time to meet people with common interests that can help you in the future.

If you are working a booth, be prepared for a quiet week. Economy-driven travel restrictions that are now in vogue means you should not expect hordes of customers crawling through the exhibit hall. When members of your installed base aren’t stopping by to see what’s new, be sure to check out startups for new ideas and introduce yourself to people.

It is going to be 80 degrees and sunny in San Francisco. Should be a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment